• Connect with us
  • Connect with us on Facebook
  • Connect with us on YouTube

It's All About Great People. Call Us: 780.468.1568

Western Blog

Prevention of Slips and Falls

December 1, 2016


Why is prevention of slips, trips and falls important?

In Canada over 42,000 workers get injured annually due to fall accidents.


How do falls happen?

Statistics show that the majority (66%) of falls happen on the same level resulting from slips and trips. The remaining 34% are falls from a height. We’re going to focus on “falls on the same level” caused by slips.



Slips happen where there is too little friction or traction between the footwear and the walking surface. Common causes of slips are:

  • ·     wet or oily surfaces
  • ·     occasional spills
  • ·     weather hazards – snow and/or ice
  • ·     loose, unanchored rugs or mats
  • ·     flooring or other walking surfaces that do not have same degree of traction in all areas.


Slip Prevention – Reduce your risk of slipping:

  • ·      take your time, pay attention and look at to where you are going
  • ·      wear footwear appropriate for the job, environment & season (non-slip shoes are useless on ice)
  • ·      adjust your stride to a pace that is suitable for the walking surface and the tasks you are doing
  • ·      walk with the feet pointed slightly outward for balance – walk like a duck
  • ·      make wide turns at corners
  • ·      See GSWP-007 Housekeeping for additional slip prevention examples


Posted in: Safety (HSE)